Saturday, July 25, 2009

Eyes Closed




Sometimes you just shoot pictures, not because they're for the story, but because they allow you to spend time with the person you're trying to get to know. One thing I've noticed about J., a woman who I'm following to do a story about segregation and public housing, is that she keeps her eyes closed a lot of the time. Cliches, like that top photo, abound-- life is hard, for example-- but, as always, that's just a part of it. This is just the beginning.

4 comments:

Steve said...

top one is still nice, even if you feel it's cliché.

modernangelo said...

I LOVE the second one... it really draws me in and makes me feel like I'm right there in the scene - makes me want to reach out and say, 'Hey!' to her.
Nice nice work, fellow intern! :)

Sheila Johnson said...

what a great start. i like the mood you´ve captured here. these feel simple, yet layered with a deep perplexity thAT MAKES ME WANT TO KNOW MORE. I LIKE THE TOP ONE TOO... NICE COLOR, ANGLE, STRANGE BLUR....

katie said...

love that last shot. oh... what a short internship this was!