Sunday, December 6, 2009

Rural Health: The Full Story


I am so excited today-- the rural heath care story I worked on in Dallas was published in the Sunday paper. When I arrived in Dallas, all the previous interns I talked with encouraged me to find a project to work on throughout the summer. After a month of research, phone calls and long drives, I found a hospital in rural Texas where I could have full access and where the story was compelling. I spent nights in the emergency room, went on house calls, and hung around the Rural Health Clinic. Eventually, they assigned a writer to the story. I could not be happier with the article written by Gretel Kovach. Texas has the country's largest rural population and its residents are, on average, older, poorer, and in worse health than their urban counterparts. It is a challenge every day to give rural people the healthcare that most of us take for granted. Read the article and watch the multimedia. This was my first real multimedia project, and it was all made possible because of the amazing people in the photo department at the Dallas Morning News. They gave me time, training, equipment, support and guidance. It was a tremendous experience. The singles now live on my redesigned website.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am SO proud of you. It's fantastic. What an incredible talent. Well done you!
Mel

katie said...

gorgeous work amanda... and shooting in walmart? unprecendented! my teeth only went into my bottom lip for a half a second when the pasture photo came up, and then went... too quickly in my opinion. but really... that was it! and lovely music too.