Monday, September 13, 2010

Blue Ridge Parkway







Days spent driving a nearly empty road, looking for pictures, finally culminates in this four-part series in the paper on the 75th Anniversary of the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was my first go at a story that was largely driven by landscape, and while it was challenging, I have to say I loved the slow, deliberate pace of shooting sense of place pictures, mostly at dawn and at dusk. People at the Pilot are amazing: Olivia Hubert-Allen designed the interactive, Sam Hundley rocked the print side, and Diane Tennant, the writer, made a beautiful narrative of history and imagined culture. I'll post more outtakes in the coming days. The road, the light, the strange motels and hot dog stands: I fell in love with all of it.

1 comment:

katie said...

strange hotels... do reveal! i love the legs shot. reminds me of summer vacation. hey, when you get a sec, can you update your blogroll with my new link?
http://www.katiebarnes.com/blog

love you! ;)

k