Saturday, June 21, 2008

Thursday, side of the road



On the way home from an assignment the other day I saw some people on the side of the road, decorating a wooden cross. That particular day I was trying to stop whenever I saw something that interested me-- not that we need more features, but because it's always better to spend a little more time shooting, even when you're like me and a little introverted. Especially me. You have to get out of the car over and over again and make pictures of strangers-- it's so important for me to be in that habit.

It turned out to be the two year anniversary of a car crash that killed three teenage girls-- two would have graduated from high school in May. I shot it, and I stayed with both families for a while, and then returned to have a talk with Justin, my editor. We ran a picture (not this one) in the paper, and I was so grateful, because sometimes when you photograph someone you make a tacit agreement with them-- that they're letting you in so their experience can somehow be bigger than just them. I think the Herald really values that kind of relationship with its readers, and it makes me care a lot about all of my assignments.

Above, a mother who lost both of her daughters, ages 16 and 17, grieves at the memorial on the side of State Road 162 in Ferdinand.

2 comments:

katie said...

stopping for anything (and everything) is a good rule i think. i like this frame... i went online to see what the paper ran. does jasper still not have an online edition??

Hermes said...

Bravo friend. I understand the introversion. I never thought I could be this isolated in a big city. You're post inspired me to use my camera to become a part of the world again.