Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Stories: In A Minute




Driving. Attempting to get somewhere, but getting lost on the way. The assignment falls through. Or: waiting in the car as the sun sets and the day becomes amazing, out of what otherwise had been a perfectly regular day. And then, because you're in the car, waiting for something else, you notice the transcendent light. This is not hyperbole. This is a fact: that your heart soars because of it. Just when you think there will be nothing to photograph, you just pull the car over the first instant you see people. A story that could take years to really tell right is in front of you. But there's just a half an hour. So this is what you get: he's 18, his baby girl Destiny is six months. Out with his someday mother-in-law, (because he and his girfriend are waiting until they're 21 to get married) her daughter, and a friend. Fishing, but not really. Just not sitting in front of the TV. The sun is setting. He mixes formula and then chases the girls around while the baby is on the blanket, looking at the sky. He carries the fishing gear and the car seat back to the truck. This could be a story. If I wasn't leaving in a few weeks. (Somedays I imagine my heart might explode, or whatever this feeling is.)

2 comments:

August Kryger said...

Sometimes the things you write really inspire me about our profession. This is one of those times.

Andrew Laker said...

Just last week I drove past a little pond where a couple of high school boys and a girl were fishing. I parked my car and walked over. Just as I was almost upon them, the girl and one of the boys began making out heavily. Years ago I would have taken the shot, but for some reason this time I got embarrassed, turned and walked away. I guess I felt creepy now that I'm almost old enough to be that girl's dad...

Anyway, good luck in Dallas. Maybe some of us Indiana shooters can win something in INPA now, huh?