Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Saturday Football & Nostalgia




I remember this time last year, there was football to shoot every Friday. No exceptions. You had to learn which fields had the lights that dropped off by two stops in the end zone, and be prepared. You had to bundle up and bring all the rain gear possible, because it would either be bitterly cold or you'd be drenched. Dinner was a hot dog. There were cookies up in the newsroom in the sports/photography corner. My Nikon thermos was always full of coffee. Mike Morris would come over and eat my bolognese and teach me the nuances of the game during the week. I once had the misfortune of turning the 300 on a quarterback who got sacked (for the third consecutive time during a drive) and had his leg broken right in my frame in his final game as a senior. Nevertheless, I love the game. I was so happy this weekend to get a chance to photograph some college football during the day-- Norfolk State vs. Howard University. There is something I love about football, and it's tough to put my finger on it. It may be that it allows you to have complete focus for a full hour (or two), while at the same time requiring a whole lot of moving around. It may be the drama that doesn't involve intractable social problems. Whatever it is, I just want to shoot more and get better at it. If you're a student and not getting any sports assignments, go out and make some for yourself. You'll struggle a little a the beginning, but be a much better shooter for it. Do any other newspaper photographers out there have a secret or not-so-secret love of sports shooting?

3 comments:

Mike said...

That was some good bolognese, by the way. Keep up the good work :)

Erin said...

Hey! Just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to leave a comment answering your question.

For me, it truly depends on the sport. Football, basketball and volleyball, I adore. Baseball? Not so much. Basketball is my personal favorite, though, so I'm really excited that season has begun.

What is your favorite sport?

katie said...

i have a not-so-secret disliking of shooting sports. all sports. except ice fishing. but as basketball season is quickly approaching, i'm trying to talk myself into it. we'll see how that goes.

i like the helmet-off shot in the middle... reminds me of that flying shoe of... someone's? a while back...