Friday, February 6, 2009

Light, the best & worst of it


Right now, I'm working on a number of stories that take place indoors, under some of the least-inspiring lighting situations. I'm longing for a story that would have tons of natural light in it. I'm surprised, though, at the subtle variations in even the worst light. Even the fluorescents in the Maple Valley Gym, where I've been working of a story about the only male cheerleader in Dubois County, have the properties to astound, with a hint of catch-light that can sometimes save a picture. I had one wonderful/scathing portfolio review at Eddie Adams, where the subject of "seeing light" was brought up. I've been thinking on that topic ever since, and while I'm stuck in these tough situations, I'm thinking on the even half-stop differences between one side of the gym and the other. Having crappy light also pushes you to rock your compositions as hard as possible, because in the final layout, light variations aren't going help diversify the story and move it along. Tomorrow I'll be quail hunting/ shooting pictures in the early morning sunlight. I'm excited just thinking about it. Zach, thanks for the comment on my last post. It, in turn, inspired me to write a bit more with my posts.

No comments: